Government set to reduce post construction modification projects

Thursday, May 29, 2008
Issue 358, Page 6
Word count: 355
Published in: Macau Daily Times

By Poyi (Natalie) Leung

Efforts put in by the government to reduce post construction modification works has been effective, president of the Legislative Assembly’s eventual committee, Kou Hoi In said yesterday.

The Eventual Committee of the Land and Public Concession Regime held another meeting at the Assembly where government representatives introduced the tender process by referring to four past cases.

They included the construction projects of Estrada Marginal da Ilha Verde, Macau Dome, Sai Van Bridge and the roundabout adjacent to Grand Lisboa.

The committee president, Kou Hoi In, said his members were mostly concerned about the post construction modifications that involved in the mentioned public projects and what the government could do to prevent them from happening.

The additional works carried out to modify the original construction of the four projects had cost the government extra 370,000 patacas (Estrada Marginal da Ilha Verde) to 600 million patacas (Macau Dome), Mr Kou said.

After discussing strategies with government representatives including Secretary for Transport and Public Works Lau Si Io, the meeting was told more time should be spent on doing preliminary works such as calculating the total budget, producing the design proposal and communicating with all users to understand their demands and opinions before the construction began.

As well, users of the public facilities should take part in overlooking the progress when the construction is under way so that any changes could be made promptly to avoid post construction works which Mr Kou said is a “waste”.

The committee president added that some recent public construction such as the Pac On temporary ferry terminal and the Unitary Police Building in Coloane had already employed such principles which effectively reduced the number of post construction modifications.

As the additional construction of the Macau Dome had aroused lots of controversies in society, government representatives said the 600-million-pataca modifications came as the users submitted new requests according to the national standards after the construction was completed.

But government officials agreed that more in-depth research and communications with users should be made before construction begins in bid to prevent replicas such as the Macau Dome from happening in the future, Mr Kou said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: