International Ladies’ Club to raise funds for minority groups

Thursday, May 14, 2009
Issue 701, Page 5
Word count: 333
Published in: Macau Daily Times

By Poyi (Natalie) Leung

The International Ladies’ Club of Macau (ILCM) is looking to raise more than 600,000 patacas during its annual charity event this Saturday night in order to aid local minority groups.

ILCM public relations representative, Emiko Mito, said the club is expecting to have at least 300 to 400 mainly English speaking expatriates to attend the 2009 “Diamonds are Forever” Charity Ball.

The event will be held from 7.15pm to 12.30am at the MGM Grand ballroom.

Funds will be raised through cash donation, auctions and selling of raffle tickets.

All proceeds will then be directly passed on to 19 Macau and one mainland charitable organisations and also to organise various activities and events to assist disadvantaged people.

Apart from elderly day centres, nursing homes and orphanages, the ILCM will in this year support drug rehabilitation centres and organisations that help solve domestic violence in a bid to raise the public awareness of youth drug abuse and family problems.

Direct cash donation will be used to buy wheelchairs, hospital beds, medical materials, prams, food or medicine.

The club also funds staff training programs and sponsors physician or psychologist visits to facilities for abandoned babies and children.

The ILCM gathers English speakers of all nationalities who live in Macau to meet regularly for social events and to utilise their expertise to aid local charities.

The club has 220 members and donated more than six million patacas to social organisations since its inception in 1984.

The Melbourne Cup Luncheon is another major fund-raising event of the ILCM annually.

According to the club, needs of the charities vary but the common problem is “lack of money for operating costs”.

The Social Welfare Bureau provides 80 percent funding to most charities but the remaining 20 percent have to be raised from the community.

“Staff personnel are consumed by day-to-day operations and fund-raising is an added burden,” a statement said.

The charity ball is also open to non ILCM members. Reservations can be made by calling Patrice Milburn on 66936325.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: