By Poyi (Natalie) Leung
The Land and Public Concessions Follow-up Committee will meet at 11am this Friday to discuss land deals for the gaming industry.
The last meeting was held back in November 2009.
Government representatives, probably including Secretary for Transport and Public Works Lau Si Io, will also join the meeting.
Lawmaker Au Kam San, who has been focusing on the SAR government’s land concessions to gaming operators and is also one of the members of the follow-up committee, told the Macau Daily Times yesterday he did not yet know what would be discussed specifically on that day.
“It’s very vague and general, it depends on what Lau Si Io is going to introduce to us in the meeting,” Au Kam San said.
Yet, the directly-elected lawmaker said he plans to ask the Secretary concerning the news reported by the Portuguese press that all the land in Cotai will be shared by gaming operators.
“Macau’s land resources are so scarce, why they are only for the gaming industry especially when it has already entered into a phase of adjustment?” Au said.
Au Kam San originally focused on the Galaxy’s land deal in Cotai and proposed for a hearing at the Legislative Assembly last year.
His request was banned since some of the lawmakers argued that it would be more appropriate for the Land and Public Concessions Follow-up Committee to discuss the case.
However, Au Kam San said the first committee meeting then saw the members decline to look at specific land deal cases, citing the legislature only “deals with policy and legislation”.
Galaxy has been granted a 440,248 square-metre parcel of land, divided into four sections which can each be individually transferred to a third party.
Au Kam San told the MDTimes he is not optimistic about the effectiveness of the follow-up committee, adding it has been created only to “ease the public’s anger”.