Nam Van construction to resume

Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Issue 1208, Page 3
Word count: 524
Published in: Macau Daily Times

By Poyi (Natalie) Leung

The Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau (DSSOPT) will issue a new construction license next week to the developer of a Nam Van land parcel where construction has been suspended for a decade.

The plot is situated opposite to department store New Yaohan and beside Lake View Mansion. The delay left only a bare 20-story concrete structure standing at the site for numerous years.

According to the bureau director Jaime Carion yesterday, the lawsuit involving the developer was completed and the developer had filed an application with the DSSOPT requesting an extension of the deadline for the use of land.

Carion said the 25-year land lease of the land, plot A6, is still valid but the developer had passed the deadline originally given to finish the construction project.

He said although the Land Committee accepted the developer’s explanation and approved the application, it has imposed the maximum penalty by law on the developer, fining them MOP 1.8 million.

A construction license is expected to be issued to the developer next week and Carion said he expects work at the site to resume shortly.

Although the concrete structure has been left untouched for years, he assured that it won’t bring any safety concerns and the developer will remove all unnecessary attachments to the structure.

Carion also revealed that the developer of another land parcel, where construction has also been suspended for a long time, has lodged an application to the DSSOPT hoping to extend the deadline for the use of land and resume construction.

He said the bureau is still studying the application for the plot in front of the Nam Van Peninsula residence near the AIA Tower but that no decision had been reached.

When asked about the expansion project of the Government guesthouse Santa Sancha, the bureau director said it is currently in the process of land levelling.

The first phase of the land levelling began in March last year and finished in November. The current phase is expected to be completed at the end of May.

The two phases of foundation works cost the Government a total of MOP 10 million.

Carion said a one-storey facility at around 1,200 square metres will be built near the tennis court of the guesthouse.

The construction blueprint has been approved by the Cultural Affairs Bureau and related documents are still being prepared. A public tender for the construction will be staged after the land is flattened.

On the other hand, the DSSOPT chaired a consultation session regarding the Land Law for the neighbourhood associations, the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and other local youth associations.

Carion confirmed that at the moment the Government has no intention of changing the use of the Concordia Industrial Park in Coloane, meaning that developers there will have to stick to their existing development projects.

The vice-director of the General Union of the Neighbourhood Associations, Leong Heng Kao, said the MOP 50,000 to MOP 500,000 fines proposed in the draft law for people who deliberately occupy public land are “too low”.

Carion promised that the bureau will look into the opinions collected during the public consultation which ends on January 31.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: