By Poyi (Natalie) Leung
Macau parents who have been fighting for their mainland children to have right of abode in the territory slammed the SAR Government yesterday for their “lack of sincerity” in their approach to the issue.
Following a meeting with the Identification Bureau (DSI) the parents told reporters that officials insisted the matter had been solved.
Sit Chong Kong, a parent representative, said the statement has ‘completely ignored the fact’, adding that the Macau Government cannot ‘push responsibility only on the central government’.
Sit said the concerned parents will deliver a letter to the Government Headquarters at 3pm today, in the hope of direct dialogue with Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On, who he claimed has postponed meetings with them on multiple occasions citing a busy work schedule.
He said the parent group will continue to petition in Senado Square and will stage a protest on Labour Day on May 1.
He also told reporters that parents have contacted the Chinese Liaison Office in Macau, Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, National People’s Congress deputies and members of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference seeking assistance.
While the meeting was conducted yesterday, a further 50 parents gathered outside of the Identification Bureau at China Plaza, some on their knees crying.
DSI said in a press statement that as these parents did not hold a Macau identity card or the Chinese Home Return Card during the period specified by the requirements set by the central government, their mainland children ‘were not eligible to apply to reside in Macau’ at that time.
The bureau also said the approval for mainland residents who want to reside in Macau is within the authority of the Chinese government, and all relatives of Macau residents must submit their applications on the mainland.
The bureau also stressed that the standards used to deal with the subject of ‘adult mainland children’ in Hong Kong were consistent with those in Macau.